Whether you are working on a new app development project or want a mobile application for some business purpose, choosing the right type can always confuse you. The conventional solutions of developing an app include native solutions or building an app through web technologies. However, in the present scenario, the type which is gaining popularity in the market is Hybrid App development. But what makes this type of app development stand out over native and web applications? Well, to understand this, read this blog ahead.
What are Hybrid apps, and how are they different from native and web applications?
Before introducing Hybrid applications, it is better to understand native and web applications and what limitations lead to the former’s evolution. Let’s discuss each of them in brief.
Native applications: The in-house apps of a device
Native applications are those apps that use native programming tools and languages specific to a particular platform or device. In other words, the native apps designed for one platform cannot run on some other platform. For instance, if a developer develops an app for iOS, it will not work on any android device, and vice versa, if the app is native.
Advantages of native apps
- Developers can have full access to the device’s features and capabilities.
- The dedicated app stores of the specific OS provides full support to their native apps.
- Native apps generally offer the best user experience comparable to the other two types of app development.
Disadvantages of native apps
- As already mentioned, Native apps are platform-specific, which makes them available only for limited devices and OS.
- The programming languages used to develop these apps are not easy and require high-level programming. Therefore, these apps need expert or high-skilled developers to develop them.
- Since the apps require experienced developers, the cost of building native apps generally becomes expensive.
Web applications: Apps beyond the app store
Advantages of Web apps
- Web apps are easy to develop and maintain.
- Developers who design web apps do not require Software Development Kit (SDK) to develop them, making it easy to create them. However, they might need specific templates to work.
- These can be created quickly and are pretty less expensive than native apps.
Disadvantages of Web apps
- Since these apps run on the browser in the device rather than in the device itself, the developer can not access all its features.
- The web apps’ loading speed depends on how the web browser and the web page load. Therefore, these apps are generally slower than native apps.
- Since web apps are not available in the app stores, sometimes it becomes difficult to discover these apps, which can ruin the user experience.
Hybrid applications: The mixture of the two types
What is the reason behind the hybrid nature of these apps?
As mentioned above, these apps are a mixture of both native and web apps. A hybrid app will consist of:
- A native shell: A native shell helps the user download and install these apps on their devices.
What makes Hybrid apps stand out from the other two types?
Several factors make Hybrid apps more popular among developers and businesses. A hybrid app stands out with the advantages of both native and web applications. Here are some of the features of Hybrid apps that make them more suitable for the users:
- Easy to develop: Unlike Native apps, Hybrid apps take much lesser time in making. It saves the time of developers so they can invest that time on other tasks.
- No updating required: The Hybrid apps do not require regular updates like the native ones as these apps update in real-time like a web page updates every time on a reload.
- Enhanced performance: These apps are lighter and faster in performance which helps in loading the content quickly. You can observe the quick and enhanced version of the hybrid apps through the examples of leading brands like Twitter, Facebook, and many more.
- Improved User experience: Since Hybrid apps can run on multiple platforms, they attract more users than native and web applications. The enhanced performance and quick responding user interface (UI) of the hybrid applications improve the user experience.
However, being cost-effective, time-saving, and enhanced, Hybrid apps are the preferred choice for both the users and businesses in the current times; still, the apps’ perfect choice can vary according to the users’ needs and business requirements. Therefore, the type of application you will select should match your business objectives and target audience.